Wednesday, September 15, 2010

why & what of Vishnu Sahasranamam

There is a word ‘Sarva praharanaayudaha’ in the end of Vishnu Sahasranamam. Do you know the story behind this word? Here it is.

After the war, Yudhishtira told Krishna that he is feeling disturbed and asked for ways and means to uphold Dharma and get peace. Krishna said “This you must ask the grand old sire lying in the bed of arrows” and they all went to Bhishma and asked. Bhishma said “Yudhishtira, the paranthaaman Krishna standing next to you is none else but Parabrahmam. He is the one playing all the leelas. I will tell you a fact.

In the first few days of war, Pandavas were having an upper hand which made Duryodana unhappy and angry. He came to me and complained. I promised him that tomorrow, I will fight such a fierce battle which will make Krishna who has promised not to take weapon, to take weapon. I showed my valour next day and Pandavas were losing which made Krishna angry. He climbed down from the chariot. There was a broken wheel of a chariot lying there and he took it in his hand and came towards me. I said “Come, my Lord, come and take me” (Bhisma is a great Bhakta of Lord Krishna). The Lord said “No my dearest Bhakta, you deserve a special occasion to part this world, wait”.

Do you know why he broke the promise and took a weapon and came towards me? It is to protect the promise of this bhaktan made to Duryodana.”

From here he starts reciting the Vishnu Sahasranamam and in the end remembers Lord Krishna coming with the wheel. He concludes with sarva praharana aayudhaha, he (the Lord Krishna) makes anything a weapon.

What a special occasion the Lord has devised for Bhishma!! Before parting this world, the Lord wanted the Sahasranamam from Bhishma’s mouth for the benefit of all in Kaliyugam. The Lord himself listened to it and Bhishma died in Lord’s presence. When a great person dies, he is given a grand farewell with full military honours. The Lord ensured it for this VVIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment